Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Mornings in the Perkins house...

It is ruff in our house in the mornings.  I am not a morning person at ALL.  I need red bull and before I have it, everyone knows to stay away.  What is even worse is my 3 year old has inherited my hate for mornings.  I am always about an hour late for work.  Seriously!  My alarm goes off and I just lay there.  I don't get up for an hour.  The only reason I end up out of bed is because Mason wakes up.  After playing in his crib for 30 minutes he gets a little impatient so I drag him back in my room and I crawl back in bed.  Then Aidan wakes up.  I have to go in his room pick him up and take him back in bed with me to cuddle.  We have to have cuddle time for at least 10 minutes.  He needs to 10 minutes.  If he does not get those 10 minutes of cuddle time he will start the morning off crying.  Joe is in the bathroom at this time.  Well, he has been in the bathroom for an hour now.  Yes an hour and I wait for him to get out because it is too much work for me to walk 10 extra steps to the boy's bathroom.  I will get mad if he takes too long.  Yes, I get mad at him for taking too long in one of our 4 bathrooms.  I told you I wasn't a morning person.  Amidst Joe and I arguing over who is taking which kid to daycare, Aidan realizes that we are all getting ready for work and in fear of being left behind he runs in his room to grab his clothes left in his cubby by me myself and I.  Mason is crawling around the floor getting into everything at this time.  Now here is where it gets tricky.  Aidan has a routine.  Do not mess up his routine.  You have to read his mind to know if today is the day he wants help or today is the day he does NOT want help.  This is every single morning in our house.

This morning I did not read Aidan's mind very well.  "Not Nice MOMMY" as Aidan would say.  As I was getting ready I saw Aidan struggling on the floor trying to get off his night time clothes.  I wasn't too sure if he wanted help so I kinda ignored him.  He has to get his underwear, pants and socks on first before brushing his teeth.  After he brushes his teeth, the then puts on his shirt.  It HAS to go in that order.  In fear of being fired I rushed downstairs to get ready and leave.  I yelled to Aidan several times I was downstairs and I was NOT going to leave him.  I made a huge mistake of grabbing his shirt and socks.  I was trying to help.  He found out I took his shirt and socks downstairs and started crying.  Once it starts, there is nothing to make it stop.  "Oh crap" I yelled as Joe tried to kiss me good bye and I completely ignored him.  I went upstairs and he is sobbing because I took his shirt.  I told him I was trying to help him and well that was not a good excuse.  Today was one of those mornings he did not want help.  I notice he was having trouble with the toothpaste so I go to help him with that and he cries even more.  I just wanted to get out of the house.  I was late.  (ok side note:  Joe and I know we are great parents.  We discipline our boys a certain way and we have no regrets.  We don't spank, we try not to yell and we try to talk through any problems.  That is 90% of the time.  Today was the 10%)  I just started yelling.  "Mommy is late."  "Why are you crying."  "GRRRRRRRRRR."  I put him in timeout only to realize I didn't have time for timeout so I dragged him in the bathroom.  Forced the toothbrush in his mouth and yelled at him.  I yelled and yelled and I was so upset.  I got him dressed and sat down on the floor and realized how upset he was and how yelling was just making it worse.  I took a deep breath realizing that being late for work is my fault and not his.  I told him why mommy was upset and I understood why he wants to do everything on his own but it's ok to have Mommy help.  He of course told me that he doesn't want help.  I apologized for yelling at him.  He milked it.  I gave him a hug and felt horrible.  It was my fault I was rushing.  He doesn't like being rushed. 



So I realized this morning that it is selfish of me to rush him because I get up late.  Aidan is very particular and I have to accept that.  It is cute and I love that about it.  It makes him unique.  Monday will be a new day.  I will wake up early with clothes ready for myself, Aidan and Mason.  Monday will be a new day..Monday will be a new day...Monday will be a new day. 



This weekend will be filled with "nastics" as Aidan would call it and cake baking.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment