Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

This day we call Love

A Grinch
A Misanthropic
A Drag

 A quick google search of those who dislike Valentines day and you may find a few of those words.  Not sure why I dislike this holiday ... oh wait...not really a holiday...but a commercial gimmick as some would call it.  I am not known to be an overly happy person but I also am not a grumpy Debbie downer either.  But for some reason..I just don't really like this day.  That is why I celebrated on Friday and the only reason I celebrated on Friday was because my son's daycare had some special thing where we could drop off the boys at night for a few hours. 

As teenagers we get all hyped up about this day.  We have our crushes at school.  We wonder for weeks if our "crush" will end up buying us something ... or  acknowledge this day to us.  A wink.  A rose.  A card.  Anything.  Only to be disappointed and left feeling like you are not special.  You go into days like today with such expectations only to be let down.  You have a boyfriend or a husband.  You just expect so much and are always let down.  I don't think it's the mans fault.  I mean..they just don't have that romance gene in them.  Well most don't and the ones that do are coached by their friends who happen to be girls.  I have a hard time believing that any man came up with their wonderful valentines plans themselves.  I am not hatin on the man.  You were not made to be that way.  I remember one valentines day I got a rose from someone only to find out later he gave them to all the women in his life.  He had like 15 roses he gave out.  OUCH.  Or another issue would be getting a Valentine from someone you "don't" see that way.  How awkward.  I have had a few good Valentines days but mostly I have some really crappy ones. 

This is not a ding on my husband..although he is NOT Mr. Romance by any means.  He didn't do anything wrong.  I just don't like valentines day.  Think of all those single folks out there.  Is it national depression day today?  Maybe they are sitting around hoping for a secret admire.  By midnight tonight their hopes are crushed and they are left sad.  Just not a fan of today.

I have two boys though.  I don't want to raise them to become a Grinch or a Drag so I put on a happy face.  Wake up and say to Aidan "Will you be my Valentine" for which he responds "Mommy...You can't take Valentines to work."  I will come home from the gym tonight with a card and stuffed animal for the boys.  I will squeeze them and tell them I love them.  Thankfully for me..they are boys.  I don't think they will have these concerns growing up.....

No comments:

Post a Comment