Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Body Combat!!

About a year ago I bought a gym membership for Joe and I.  At first he was pissed.  How dare I spend money on him.  I thought it was a good idea though.  It is important to stay in shape and get out of the house away from the chaos and each other.  It was about 6 months since I had Mason so I needed the exercise in a bad way!!!!  Ok...I am sure those who know me just laughed after reading that last sentence.  I didn't gain much baby weight and lost it all real quick...but when I lost it all...I lost it ALL including muscle. 

So with that membership came that free personal training session.  HA!  That was funny.  Why do those guys insist you come in at like 5am?  Are they crazy????  And the expectations...after my free session I came to the conclusion I ate like crap..was lazy..and complained a lot.  Hey..but I was at the gym so I was doing 'something' right.  So of course with the new year I had all these goals and unrealistic expectations.  Eating better..working out...blah blah blah.  Do you know how hard it is to keep those goals?  Almost impossible!!! 

My free personal trainer session guy, Nick, insisted I take these classes.  Classes??  All I could imagine in my head were these women..all these women...doing stepping routines and jumping around.  Do those classes even work???   I mean...before joining the gym I had noticed that most those women were NOT in shape.  These assumptions have since changed so don't freak out.  All of the women and some men taking these classes are in amazing shape.  I think it was opinions shaped from a gym I used to work at when I was younger.  So I laughed at the thought of doing one of these classes but he insisted.  He actually insisted I take two classes in a row.  Was he nuts?  I didn't know the difference between body flow, combat, pump, kick, scream whatever they were called.  I just jetted from work one day and jumped in the next class available. 

Body combat..boy was I in for a shock.  I am a little confident and maybe even cocky when it comes to athletics.  I am good..no..no..I am GREAT.  Well...not this day.  This class is intimating on more than one level.  Not only physically...but emotionally.  There are "clicks".  Now..I love these girls now..and I feel like we all support each other in our personal and gym life.  It is great.  However..on my first day..and even 1-2 months later..it was ruff.  Who knew that these classes had assigned "spots".  If you got in anyone's spot..or were not a certain amount of distance from everyone else..you got the stank eye.  The whisper...the stare.  It was like high school all over for me.  Being new to Frederick and not having too many friends reminded me of being new to the 9th grade.  Maybe trying "too" hard to friend these girls.  I maybe completely paranoid and a little nutto...but oh well. 

So I survived the first class despite the fact that I almost vomited and couldn't walk for at least 7 days after.  I was hooked.  It is freakin awesome.  I love it.  It makes me want to go to the gym.  If it wasn't for this class...I would not be going to the gym and would be one of many paying for a membership that is not used. 

Soon after becoming hooked..I remember driving home from this class and calling my husband excited.  The "click" girls like me now.  They friended me and included in me in their "area".  I now have a "spot".  Ok..for all you body combat girls reading this..don't laugh.  I know..I am retarded.  But it has seriously impacted my life.  I love the class..and love the support everyone shows.  Everyone supports each others cause..and weight loss goals.  I love it. 

As I type this...I realize I have to leave like now in order to get to the gym in time to stand by the door to run in and get MY spot.  PEACE


I stole this pic from you Lori..thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment